We are now two weeks into Fortnite season 8, on March 12th they released their first big patch of the season. Plenty of new items were added, including a brand new vehicle, and even free vending machines.
So what’s new? After taking a look at the latest patch notes we have decided to highlight the new items and bug fixes that we think are the most important.
- This single seat vehicle is found at Expedition Outposts and around pirate camp loot stashes
- Use the attached Grappler and Boost functionality to pull yourself up cliffs or swing through the trees
- The driver is protected from damage, but The Baller is vulnerable to enemy weapon fire.
- Removed the material cost.
- Each Vending Machine will be destroyed after claiming an item.
- Common and Uncommon Vending Machines have been removed.
- Removed Mounted Turret from Legendary Vending Machine
- Fixed rocket smoke trails disappearing instantly on explosion.
- Fixed an issue where the popping audio for Balloons would continue to play after using Balloons to get to max build height while using a vehicle.
- Fixed an issue where Buried Treasure would not auto pickup when the Auto Pickup Weapons setting was enabled.
- Fixed an issue where Buried Treasure chests could be placed on the Starting Island.
- Fixed an issue where using an Impulse Grenade or a Shockwave Grenade while jumping on a Hoverboard causes the player to rapidly rotate.
Elimination credit is now awarded to last damager in cases of logging out, self-elimination, and eliminations due to Storm damage. Current threshold timer is 15 seconds.
- Added custom consume animations for the following items:
- Small Shield Potion
- Shield Potion
- Slurp Juice
- Chug Jug
- Tournament Update: Gauntlet Solo Test Event & Gauntlet Duo Test Event
- Added another extended session, which will run 24 hours a day and concludes on March 19th at 12 AM ET.
- Matchmaking will no longer wait to create a match with closest scoring players available after 8 minutes, and will now require enough players with similar scores to start.
- Adjusted matchmaking point expansion to increase likelihood for high scoring players to be matched against other high scoring players.
- Note: Due to the playlist featuring matchmaking based on your score, the quality or availability of matches may differ at certain times of day.
- Updated Scoring:Solo+2 Points will now be awarded after reaching 15th Place (previously 10th Place).
- Duo Increased Bus Fare from -2 Points to -3 Points.This is a temporary solution for the Duo event granting too many points to players due to eliminations, causing an inflation of points over the course of the event.
- +2 Points will now be awarded after reaching 7th Place (previously 5th Place).
- New Tournament: Scallywag Duos Cup (March 16th & 17th) [$100,000 in Cash Prizes!]
- As a test of our prize payment systems leading into the Fortnite World Cup, we’ll be holding a $100,000 Duos tournament on March 16th and 17th. The prize pool will be distributed across all server regions, with official rules and details released later this week.
- Participation in this event requires players to be in the Top 3% (global) of either the Solo or Duo Gauntlet Test Event as of 12 AM ET on March 16th.
- Round One: All Eligible Players
- Round Two: Top 3000 Players from Round One
What do you think of the new vehicle? Do you think it’ll be useful in competitive Fortnite? Let us know in the comments below.