Bethesda outline their plan to keep Fallout 76 interesting in the coming future.
Fallout 76 launched in a less than optimal state, and it’s not a controversial thing to say that Bethesda has been fumbling its way with it ever since. There has been some doubt about the developers at Bethesda Game Studios, who have never handled a live service game of this sort before, and their ability to be able to support this game in the long term, with many even suggesting that they are already getting ready to put the game into maintenance mode.
However, it seems like Bethesda does have a plan, and today, as they had promised to, they released the roadmap for Fallout 76 for the year, as well as also detailing the first upcoming “expansion”, Wild Appalachia. As for the latter, Bethesda is planning on adding new quests, new features, and the Survival Mode to the game, which also allows for open PvP.
A new update, “Nuclear Winter”, is planned for Summer of this year, and will include “an entirely new way to play Fallout 76, completely changing the rules of the Wasteland”; Bethesda also promises a new Prestige system for players who have hit the level cap in this update. Finally, Wastelanders is the update planned for Fall, which Bethesda promises is the most ambitious update for the game yet, and will offer a tale with “true choice and consequence”.
“We know the game had a difficult launch, and we’ve made mistakes along the way,” Bethesda’s update reads, as an acknowledgement of the game’s severe missteps so far, while also thanking fans who are, apparently, on average spending 4 hours on the game a day.
Maybe Fallout 76 can be salvaged. While the game seems to have a fair few fundamental flaws, maybe Bethesda, if they really are in this for the long run, will be able to rework them into something that can realize the actual promise of “multiplayer Fallout”.
Get the full details on the upcoming Fallout 76 content below.
RELEASE: SPRING 2019
A mythical beast, a lost generation of scouts, and the strongest brew this side of the wasteland. Welcome to Wild Appalachia – a series of new quests, features, events, crafting systems and more starting on March 12 and appearing over several weeks. Wild Appalachia includes:
- New Quests: Shear Terror! – Uncover the ‘encryptid’ secrets of Appalachia in a new series of quests and encounters to separate monsters from myths.
- New Quests: Ever Upwards – Journey to the deepest reaches of the woods with new stories for the legendary Pioneer Scouts. Earn merit badges, climb the ranks, and earn a customizable backpack for increased utility.
- New Features: Legendary Vendor and Scrapping – Locate the mysterious Purveyor to exchange and scrap your unwanted legendary items for new legendary gear. For every star rating on a legendary item you scrap, increase your chances to get the legendary weapon or armor of your dreams.
- New Features: C.A.M.P. Decorating, Player Vending, Functional Camera – Use items from your stash to decorate your C.A.M.P. Build vending machines and flag items for sale. Simply set your prices and walk away to continue your adventures in Appalachia, being sure to capture all your favorite memories using the new functional camera. The vending machines do all the work, you just need to count the caps.
- New Features: Brewing and Distilling – Go on a new quest to discover the secrets of the forbidden brew Nukashine and bring the party back to your C.A.M.P with new brewing and distilling systems and recipes.
- New Seasonal Event: Fasnacht Parade – Chase away Old Man Winter and quicken the coming of spring with the ancient festival of Fasnacht! Join the celebration and complete this new limited-time event to earn unique rewards in the form of festive Fasnacht Masks.
- New Game Mode: Survival – This all-new game mode brings a higher-stakes PvP experience with fewer restrictions, increased rewards, and new challenges plus all the original content of Adventure Mode.
RELEASE: SUMMER 2019
Summer will bring another series of major updates to Fallout 76, including Nuclear Winter – an entirely new way to play that changes the rules of the wasteland.
- New Game Mode: Nuclear Winter – An entirely new way to play Fallout 76, completely changing the rules of the Wasteland.
- New Vault Raids: Vaults 96 and 94 Opening – For our most seasoned players, test your strength in all new high-level group Vault Raids.
- New Feature: Legendary Players – An all-new prestige system will allow players above level 50 to become Legendary, resetting their characters with all new more powerful abilities.
RELEASE: FALL 2019
Embark on a tale with true choice and consequences in Wastelanders – our biggest and most ambitious update for 76. Wastelanders will include a new main questline, new factions, new events, new features and even more surprises.